It seems that everyone is selling jewelry on Ebay. You can search for any jewelry item and there are always hundreds, if not thousands, of similar items from many different sellers. I am one of those that you find listed selling gold jewelry on Ebay.
You can compare prices for similar or even the same item and the price will range from extremely low to extremely high. I don’t list many gold jewelry items on Ebay, but I do keep several items listed at all times. I am not a jeweler, but I know a good distributor when I find one, and I have found one. So, I list a few pendants, necklaces, and earrings and I make a few dollars here and there.
However, Ebay’s fees have gotten so high, I need to decide if I want to keep selling the items that I do sell or just give it up entirely. One of the jewelry stores on Ebay that had a positive rating of over 51,000 has recently closed. I do enjoy selling on Ebay, but it does take time and effort, and since the fee increase, everyone has had to raise their prices.
Today, I thought I would go over some information about gold. Have you ever wondered exactly what 14k means?
Gold is the most malleable of all metals. It won’t rust, tarnish, or corrode. Pure gold is 24k and because it is easily bent, it is too soft to make jewelry out of. It cannot stand up to daily wear. Gold is alloyed or mixed with other metals such as silver, copper, zinc, and nickel to give it strength.
The color of gold is determined by the amount of alloys that are mixed with the gold. The shade of the yellow gold will vary depending on what amount of the alloy it is mixed with – silver, copper, and zinc. Being alloyed with nickel, copper, and zinc makes white gold.
The k stands for karats and is expressed as 24ths. For example 18k gold means that the gold content is 75% (18/24). The remaining 25% is an alloy. Another example is 14k. This means that 58.3% is pure gold and 41.7% is an alloy. The last example is 10k. This is the legal limit that the United States considers as real gold and is 41.7% gold and 58.3% is an alloy.
The price of gold jewelry depends upon the karat weight of the jewelry. The higher the karat weight is, the brighter the jewelry is and the higher the price. The price of gold fluctuates daily, and as of late gold has been at the highest price since the 1970’s. As of today, September 28, 2006, the price of gold is still hovering over $600 per ounce and just about a month ago, it was over $700. Selling gold jewelry on Ebay can still be a lucrative business if you put in the time and effort.
Word count: 479